Sunday, March 5, 2017

Bergman

Upon research I found this wonderful video essay by the Criterion Collection on Ingmar Bergman's philosophy of dreams in relation to cinema.


Bergman is said to have equated film to a dream state as both are bottomless worlds existing without walls or limits. The essay commences with his quote "sometimes when I'm dreaming I'll think... I'll make a film of it." His films wash in and out of reality, most clearly demonstrated in Wild Strawberries (1957) where clocks lacking hands mock the protagonist, raising questions about mortality and age. Many of the film's images derive from Bergman's own dreams which has inspired me to start drawing inspiration from mine. I have very vivid dreams and I think in my quest to create truth from a bended mystical perspective it would be resourceful. Moreover, I like the idea of incorporating a dream sequence in my short film or dreamlike imagery.

Talk soon,
Cassie.

No comments:

Post a Comment