Sunday, March 5, 2017

We're Back


Hello again! This past year has truly flashed by. Although in retrospect I am very proud of the way my project turned out last year when I rewatch it the first thing that comes to mind is that it feels very heavy- its oversaturation, style of music, and tight shots all attribute to this. This year I would like to create something that's a bit airier, playing around more with thematic issues as well, as opposed to character.
Y tu Mama Tambien (dir. Alfonso Cuaron, 2001)
Mood Indigo (dir. Michel Gondry, 2013)
As of late I have been surrounded by the concept of Magical Realism. This first came about upon my enrollment in Italian Cinema and has extended into the curriculum of my other classes, studying novels such as Beloved (Toni Morrison) and 100 Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez) in AP Literature. The idea of reality being most clearly displayed through the blurring of it is something that definitely inspires me and I hope to apply in my creation of this year’s piece. Thus, I believe films such as Y tu Mama Tambien (dir. Alfonso Cuaron), Le Notti di Cabiria (dir. Federico Fellini), and Mood Indigo (dir. Michel Gondry) will be key influences in my process.
Although I am not sure I want to fully commit to the style of Magical Realism I would very much like to experiment with camera movement, an ominous narrator, and long takes which are techniques the genre often employs. 

Talk soon,
Cassie.

No comments:

Post a Comment